Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sunday Bloody Sunday...?

Me and Lindsay and Rebekah went to Argo Tea last night. Best soy vanilla chai I've ever had, hands down. It was interesting hanging out with them. They're in the writing program with me so we'll be spending lots of time together. But Lindsay and Rachael are SO much alike: cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, never had boyfriends, a little weird. They don't sound like much fun but they are. So they were so much alike and I'm sitting disagreeing with almost everything they say and I started to feel like the weird one and that's fine, I'm just not used to hanging out with people who are so different from me.

I don't like shoes. I don't wear a lot of make-up. I don't go shopping all that often and when I do, I prefer to go alone. I like watching football. I like beer. I prefer jeans and a t-shirt over a skirt or dress any day. I don't watch Project Runway or The Bachelor. I don't know how to use a curling iron. It doesn't take me an hour to get ready in the morning. I would rather spend the night hanging out with my friends than out dancing at "da club." I think guys that look like Abercrombie & Fitch models are overrated. I read books, not magazines. I'm not a big fan of the color pink. I don't wear lip gloss..

I could go on and on but what I'm trying to say is that I'm not your average girl. And I don't say that to brag or sound conceited, it's just that I'm not like a lot of the girls here. And the problem with that is that I don't necessarily know how to act around these girls. I'm trying to make friends and I think I'm doing an okay job except that when there's a Friends marathon going on in Meredith's room, I don't know about it. Tonight, I am watching the Superbowl (Go Colts!) alone in my room with a bottle of water and a bag of Doritos and instead of getting excited that the Colts are winning, I can't help but wonder if the other girls went out somewhere and didn't tell me or are watching in somebody's room and still not telling me. I don't do this usually, worry about what people think about me. But I can't make it out here if I don't have friends. So I will go shoe shopping and I will go to Sephora and I will drink lattes if it means the girls will give themselves a chance to get to know me. And I know it's only been a week and things will start to take shape if I just give it time, but right now, tonight, I'm afraid that I won't make friends. At least not real ones.

But right now, I'm going to go back to the football game, root for the Colts, and be happy when they win. And I will start my internship tomorrow happy and confident. Wish me luck guys! I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment